300 West 96th street suite 3K
Bloomington MN 55420
October 2006 Official Press Release
1 Discrimination at Minneapolis Venue
2 Impeach For Peace Anti Bush Rally,
3 Benefit for Hit and Run Victims
4 In the news
5 In the movies
6 Fall Schedule
1. Harsh Reality has become the focus of a discrimination matter with Minneapolis Venue "The Toy Box" after having a show cancelled within hours of when Jendeen dropped off requested promotional materials to the Venue (Note this is when the venue first met a band member is person) . The reasons given were a worry of a possible no show and physical appearance being appropriate for the club. With two of the members of Harsh Reality being out and proud Transgendered ladies who have traveled the globe as well as receiving multiple awards and nominations for their history in the music scene the question rose quickly to exactly what the Venue representative Andy meant with that statement. Through an explosion on the popular internet forum MySpace Harsh Reality member Tempest took a hard stance demanding that the Venue explain exactly what was the issue with their appearance.
Through a series of public messages in the blog's of both Harsh Reality Harsh Reality and the Toy Box Tempest succeeded in pointing out that the club was unfairly applying different standards to the Transgendered band members than genetic women performing or attending the club. It was stated in response to why the Transgendered band members were treated differently by the Club representative Andy that "how is that any different than a girl showing cleavage or too much of their leg?" In many aspects, it doesnt have any difference. But in many ways it does as well. You can either blame this on my personal standards/morals/expectations of band members, or you can blame it on the beliefs/standards of half the world.
Tempest offered a solution in a Fair Dress code policy applied to all and offered to forgive the statements due to the short time that Andy had been in his position however it was refused with the statement by Andy himself that "I do not claim ignorance. Im doing my job the way I believe I should do my job. If you believe otherwise, so be it." And "For me to claim ignorance to anything in this matter would contradict everything i've said on this subject and would falter what I stand for and believe to be true." Apparently he feels justified in treating Transgendered women with a different set of standards than genetic females. Support for Tempest and Jendeen in their simple request for fair treatment to all has flooded in from across the nation and indeed the globe with some supporters from as far away as Jade Starr from Australia and some as close as Minneapolis own Shannon Blowtorch who is an active promoter with Homocore.
To this day the matter remains unresolved and open for the public to see and comment on in the respective sites. Tempest and Harsh Reality have never considered fear, hatred and discrimination as fit ways to act and are adamant about seeking a fair treatment of the situation. The solutions for this matter are fast coming down to only one possible legal solution with sadness and regret. Although the aggressively touring band currently lacks the funds to hire representations other solutions are being examined. Harsh Reality is in utter disbelief that in this modern world there are those who still proudly and publicly discriminate.
2. On October 5, people everywhere will walk out of school, take off work, and come to the downtowns & town squares and set out from there, going through the streets and calling on many more to join us - making a powerful statement: "NO! THIS REGIME DOES NOT REPRESENT US! AND WE WILL DRIVE IT OUT!"
Harsh Reality will be headlining the Minneapolis Day of Resistance Impeach for peace Rally against President Bush in a free concert on October 5th in popular Loring Park. To quote Mark Twain "I love my country but I'm scared to death of its government."
3. A few weeks ago Harsh Reality were contacted by our dear friend Little Heather AKA Lady De productions to take part in the following benefit for Aaron And Sarah on October 6th at the Uptown Cafe in Minneapolis. Little else had to be said we were on it now joined by some other great local and regional bands.
If you don't know the story you can find it Here
The short version is these two were hit while on their motorcycle in a devastating hit and run accident. They are left with enormous medical bills and very little else. The hit and run drive has never come forward and has never been found.
All My heartfelt sympathy for them, All my disgust for the driver who still remains at large.
HARSH REALITY WILL DONATE ALL MONEY FROM MERCH SALES THIS NIGHT AS WELL!!!
Talk is cheap but medical bills aren't we are giving it all so should you. Their main site is www.helpaaronandsarah.com
4. Harsh Reality Member Jendeen has been seeing quite a bit of press of her own. The Minnesota Music Academy nominated drummer has had a full interview in the September 15th issue of Lavender magazine www.lavendermagazine.com as well as a lengthy two part audio interview with Wanda Wisdom (for those of you who don't know Jendeen the girl just wont shut up so they made two shows out of her interview) Links can be found Here and Here
5. Apparently not to be left behind the also Minnesota Music Academy Nominated Tempest has just completed her first feature length film "Open" by Jake Yuzna in the Role of the real world Gender Pandroginist Genesis. This dark and deeply moving film was shot in Minneapolis and features the four main characters exploring the ideas of gender, sexuality, love and identity. Jendeen makes a few quick appearances as well recapping her real life role as Tempest's (Genesis) partner "Lady Jaye". Look for the film to make its way to the independent screens in 2007 with possible DVD release later in the year.
6. Finally we have the current fall schedule. The following dates have all been confirmed and Harsh Reality is currently filling out their December Tour plans with fellow miscreants Apocalypse Theater for another round of the Underground U90 / U35 tour Here
10/05/2006 02:00 PM - Day Of Resistance Fest (LORING PARK)
Loring Park, minneapolis, MN 55400,US -
10/06/2006 08:00 PM - Uptown Bar
Minneapolis, Minneapolis, MN 55400,US - 5.00
Benifit for Hit and Run Victims Aaron And Sarah... Lots of great bands and a great cause come earn your wings!
10/13/2006 08:00 PM - Terminal Bar
Minneapolis, MN 55400,US - 5.00
Special Friday the 13th show... Ugly Fat Kids, Tonnage and The Angry Mothers guest on this show
10/27/2006 08:00 PM - The ROX Helloween Havoc With Impaler & Special Guests
Saint Cloud, MN 56301,US -
Harsh Reality and Flat Atom with 80-d and APOX for a night of devlish fun and full on METAL in saint Cloud
10/28/2006 08:00 PM - Stones Throw (the blood line flows into wisconsin)
EauClair, WI ,US -
Harsh Reality, Impaler & Flat Atom
11/03/2006 08:00 PM - Club Underground
Minneapolis, MN 55400,US - TBA
Harsh Reality At Club Underground 80-D, Beauty of Decay & Mayasis
11/10/2006 08:30 PM - 4th Street Station
Saint Paul, MN 55101,US - TBA
Harsh Reality, Faggot, 80-D and Flat ATOM
11/11/2006 10:00 PM - The Klinic With FLAT ATOM
520 s park street, Madison, WI 53701,US - 5.00
11/18/2006 08:00 PM - Terminal Bar
Minneapolis, MN 55400,US - 5.00
You must be at least Silver Member to post comments.
Most Recent Comments - 0 comments total